LSA Young Artist Competition 2019
The competition is open to artists working in any visual art medium and submission is free. Artists must be at least 12 and under the age of 22 on 4thAugust 2019 and living or studying in the CV postcode areas.
The theme for the competition is “Water”.
2D work must not be bigger than 70cm x 70cm including any frame and 3D work must be small enough to fit on a 50cm x 50cm plinth.
Initial submission is by upload of digital image. Each artist may submit up to 3 images.
Submissions closes at midnight on Sunday 30th June.
- Selection of finalists for exhibition at Leamington Art in the Park Festival on 3rd/4thAugust 2019, will take place by online public vote combined with a panel of judges.
- Online voting will take place during July 2019.
- Artists will be informed if their work has been selected for exhibition in late July.
- Original artwork must be delivered between 10am and noon on Thursday 1stAugust to East Lodge, Jephson Gardens, Leamington Spa, CV32 4ER, and will be exhibited in the main LSA marquee during the Leamington Art in the Park Festival, which received over 40,000 visitors in 2018.
- Members of the public will be invited to vote for their favourite artwork during the Festival.
- All artwork must be collected between 5.30pm and 6.30pm on Sunday 4thAugust from the LSA marquee.
The winners and runners up will be announced at an award evening at East Lodge from 7pm until 8pm on Friday 23 August 2019.
There will be awards in different age categories. LSA will promote the work of the winners and runners up and all winners and runners up will receive a year’s free membership of LSA.
Artwork will initially be judged using the uploaded images - the quality of those images is therefore very important.
Here are some pointers to help obtain a good image. Ideally use a good camera and lens, but a recent smartphone can also achieve a good image if it is used well.
- Make sure the artwork is evenly lit, preferably using daylight (outside, diffuse or shaded, not direct sunlight) or flash (reflected off a white surface or wall to avoid harsh hot spots)
- Hold camera parallel and central to artwork to minimise perspective distortion.
- Hold camera close enough to almost fill the frame with the artwork.
- Hold camera steady, preferably using tripod or other support, to ensure sharp images.
- Check and adjust focus on camera if possible, to ensure all details can be seen clearly. Auto focus does not always recognise painted surfaces.
- Take a number of images and pick the best reproduction.
- Submitted images should be 2 megapixels or greater in size to ensure good on-screen display
- Images should be submitted in .jpeg file format.
You must be able to deliver the original artwork to East Lodge on Thursday 1stAugust and to collect it on Sunday 4thAugust.
While all reasonable care will be taken with artworks, LSA will not take responsibility for any loss or damage. Please ensure that you have adequate insurance in place.
Artworks will not be sold.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition Entry Form
Please use the form below to submit your entries. When you click on submit, you may need to scroll back to the top again. You will be sent an email if your upload is successful. If you don't see the confirmatory email in a couple of minutes - check your spam folder.